America Law Group, Inc.


For official information from the Virginia State Bar, visit the Virginia State Bar Website.

For official information from United States Federal Courts System, visit the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Page.


When filing for bankruptcy, you must take an approved Credit Counseling Course before you file. After your case is filed, you must take an approved Debtor Education Course. These courses are typically offered online or over the phone.

The following are providers that have been used by our clients:

Credit Counseling Course (Before Bankruptcy)

Online Only
English Only
$15 Online
$25 Phone
Available in Spanish
$25 Online
$35 Phone 
Available in Spanish
Debtor Education Course (After Bankruptcy)
Online Only
English Only
$9 Online
$15 Phone
Available in Spanish
$35 Online
$45 Phone 
Available in Spanish   


For a complete list of approved providers, you can visit the Department of Justice U.S. Trustee Program Website, Credit Counseling & Debtor Education. You may search by your state, or by language (if other than English or Spanish).


Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, consumer credit reporting agencies must make all disclosures once per year upon request of the consumer, and without charge to the consumer. This means you are entitled to a free yearly copy of your credit report from each of the three major bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Annual Credit Report is a site run jointly by the bureaus to provide access to your free report.

After bankruptcy, it is important to check your credit report to make sure everything is reported correctly. Knowing what’s on your credit report can also help prevent identity theft.


When filing for bankruptcy, you will need copies of the last two years’ federal and state tax returns. If you don’t have a copy, you will need to order a transcript.

To order your federal transcripts, visit the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) website, Order a Transcript.

For information on ordering state transcripts, visit the Virginia Department of Taxation Website, Request a Copy of My Tax Return or Transcript.



The resources on this page are links to external websites.

America Law Group, Inc. does not endorse or represent any of the agencies listed.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the US Bankruptcy Code (11 U.S.C. section 528)